Chief Joseph Summer Camp
- 2018 Camp Dates: July 16-20th
- Chief Joseph Summer Camp is a week-long day camp designed for children going into the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th grade.
- Camp runs from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM Monday through Thursday and Friday from 9:00 AM until 2:00 PM.
- We provide daily bus transportation to and from camp from designated sites in Wallowa, Lostine, Enterprise and Joseph.
Camp includes a variety of large and small group activities including a water slide, water gun wars, hands-on science, and active special projects. Activities vary from year to year and depend on our volunteers. Our goals are to offer quality hands-on educational and creative experiences that are fun for kids and build self esteem. Workshops, offered by community members, allow children to learn and practice a variety of unique skills.
Old Memories, New Traditions:
Beginning in 2018 camp will be held at at Ferguson Ridge ("Fergi") Ski Area. The Lions Club has generously offered the site to continue CJSC's 56-year tradition that we have enjoyed at the Buhler Ranch.
Campers, divided into groups of up to 12 kids, are led by a teen counselor. Each group stays together while taking part in daily activities including all-camp activities, three workshops, a cooperative group, and a lunch that each camper brings from home. Friday, we provide a hotdog BBQ. After lunch on Friday, campers are free to mingle and take part in a variety of craft and physical activities at their leisure without their groups.
Forms will be available online on Monday, May 28th and will be sent home with local school children the week before Memorial Day.
The registration on this site will allow you to print ALL registration forms + liability waiver + medical release to be sent in with a check. Unfortunately this year we cannot process automated registration and payments.
Camp registration fees (includes T-Shirt):
May 28-June 27 -- $100.00
June 28-July 8 -- $115.00
No registrations accepted after July 8.
If requesting a scholarship, mail us a LETTER stating how much you can contribute, reasons for the request, and if you will be able to volunteer at camp. This must be done BEFORE THE EARLY REGISTRATION DEADLINE which is June 27th.
(Please be 10 minutes early to drop off and pick up!)
Wallowa Elementary School: Leave 8 a.m./Return 4 p.m.
Lostine - Crow's Store: Leave 8:15 a.m./Return 3:45 p.m.
Enterprise High School: Leave 8:30 a.m./Return 3:30 p.m.
Joseph Elementary School: Leave 8:50 a.m./Return 3:15 p.m.
What to Wear?
- Comfortable, layered outdoor clothing (jackets, sweatshirts over t-shirts) appropriate for changing weather, hiking, and potentially messy activities
- Comfortable closed toe shoes -- no open toe shoes!
- Sunscreen -- even if it is overcast!
- A smile!
What to Bring?
Mark ALL your belongings with your name!
Please bring to camp:
- A sack lunch with drink
- A water bottle
- If you bring a camera, consider a disposable with your name on it!
- Please leave other personal items at home. We cannot be responsible for lost or damaged possessions!
Mon - Thurs
9:00 Songs & Stuff
10:45 Workshop 1
12:05 Free Time
12:30 Workshop 2
1:30 Workshop 3
2:30 Clean Up
2:40 Wrap Up
On Friday: project sharing, special activities, and BBQ lunch. We dismiss early at 2 p.m!